Turn your Sketch Character into a Sitcom Hero with Janina Rook
Saturday, October 24 | 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Do you have a character that is so damn funny it deserves a web series? Did you write a great sketch and now you want to turn it into a movie? Interested in developing (or even showrunning) a half-hour-sitcom? We got you!
In this 3 hour workshop you will learn the basics of long-form comedy writing and how you can turn all the great comedy you’ve already developed into something bigger. Great long form comedy is driven by complex, flawed, strong, quirky, mean, nerdy, smart, goofy, smelly, but always funny, characters. So what does a character need to fully blossom? How can they drive a whole story? And also be funny???
We will answer all your questions!
All levels are welcome, an understanding of Game in Improv is helpful but not required. You should bring pen, paper or laptop, and a sketch or character with you so we have something to work with.
Janina Rook is a teacher at Comedy Café Berlin. She studied improv at UCB NY + LA and CCB. As a writer and director she worked for several German outlets for the past 11 years (ARTE, 3SAT, FUNK, ZDFneo). She recently co-developed a late night show, a sketch-show, wrote and directed several pilots for German TV/web among other things you haven’t heard of. The comedy web-series she co-developed and wrote for, „Der Wedding kommt“, was awarded with „Best German Web Series“ at the Berlin Web Fest. You can listen to more of her on her improv-comedy-podcasts UNVERSCHÄMT (RBB radioeins) and SCHAMLOS.
Please note: we are unable to offer refunds on workshop or course registration!
Please read our FAQs! (We’re pretty sure all your questions are answered there).
- All students must read and agree to our School Policies.
- Students must be respectful to their fellow students and course instructors, and adhere to our Student & Teacher Code of Conduct and our Community Code of Conduct.
General requirements for 8-week courses & intensives:
- All improv students are required to join and participate in at least one improv jam and see at least one improv show at CCB during the course.
- Students may not miss more than 2 out of 8 classes (there are no make up classes)
- Students may not be more than 15 minutes late to 4 out of 8 classes
Give the gift of good improv with CCBTS Gift Vouchers!