- This event has passed.
Topical Joke Writing with Caroline Clifford – Online!
Saturday, April 18, 2020 | 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm
The world is very strange right now, we’re hit with harrowing news 24/7. The only way you can really get through it is to have a laugh! This workshop will give you the tools you need to write great jokes from current events.
Writing based on your own life can be great and easy as you have the real emotions and experiences to drive your creativity. Writing from a newspaper or equivalent can be harder as you just don’t have a personal connection to the events… or do you?
Often I’ll see a comedy show on the day of a major news event, and it can be quite grating how most of the acts don’t mention anything about this event – funny or otherwise and just plough through the same old crap!
This class will guide you through some writing techniques many of the the professionals (Daily Show, Mock The Week, The Onion etc) use, plus drill you on how writing about news events doesn’t have to be that far removed from writing about our own experiences, in fact all the best jokes are relatable!
This workshop is great for working comics who want to add some current events to their material, or anyone who’d like to learn learn topical joke writing in general. No prior comedy experience is required.
We will end the class with a “weekend update” style show which I’ll record via Zoom so you’ll have a souvenir. Plus I give detailed class notes.
Online workshop requirements:
- A stable internet connection.
- A quiet, distraction-free place.
- A computer with a webcam and mic. Headphones are recommended.
- A free account and software from Zoom. (Meeting details will be sent to registered students before the workshop).
General Course & Workshop Info
Please note: we are unable to offer refunds on workshop or course registration!
Please read our FAQs! (We’re pretty sure all your questions are answered there).
All of our standard 8-week courses include a student show, personal feedback and a Certificate of Completion*!
Health & Safety Requirements (as of July 2022)
- As long as free testing (“Bürgertest”) remains available, all courses and workshops at CCBTS are 2G+. This means all instructors and students must be Geimpft (vaccinated) or Genesen (recovered) from COVID-19, PLUS everyone must be tested before each class. You will be required to show proof of your vaccination or recovery on the first day of class. If you are medically unable to be vaccinated, please get in touch with us.
- If free testing is no longer available, all courses and workshops will be 3G. This means all instructors and students must be Geimpft (vaccinated), Genesen (recovered) or Getestet (tested within 24 hours) for COVID-19.
- If you are feeling unwell, please let your instructor know and stay home!
- FFP2 masks should be worn at all times unless students are actively performing in a scene or exercise.
- Courses & workshops will take place at Comedy Café Berlin where we have a brand-new, state-of-the-art ventilation and air filtration system.
- All students must read and agree to our School Policies and the above Healthy & Safety Guidelines.
- Students must be respectful to their fellow students and course instructors, and adhere to our Student & Teacher Code of Conduct and our Community Code of Conduct.
General requirements to successfully complete 8-week courses & intensives:
- All improv students are required to join and participate in at least one improv jam and see at least one improv show at CCB during the course.
- Students may not miss more than 2 out of 8 classes (there are no make up classes)
- Students may not be more than 15 minutes late to 4 out of 8 classes
Guest courses or workshops may have different requirements.
*upon successful completion of the course
Give the gift of good improv with CCBTS Gift Vouchers!