Playing it Straight with Antonia Bär
Saturday, June 19 | 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
The Voice of Reason (formerly known as the Straight Man) is the sensible character in a comedy scene who points out absurdities and represents “real world logic”. But more importantly, playing the Voice of Reason can be incredibly satisfying!
In this workshop, we’ll explore the Voice of Reason as the ‘comedian’ of the scene who lets the audience know what exactly is so funny. We’ll clear up common misconceptions that stand in the way of having fun when playing the Straight Man, and learn how to play characters that have their own specific points of view and personality, going beyond just saying No to the unusual thing. Plus, we’ll look at how to play with a Voice of Reason by really listening to them and giving them space to make a scene funnier.
If you don’t love playing the Straight Man because you think it’s the boring part of the scene, this workshop is for you!
Please read our health & safety requirements below!
PREREQUISITES: Level 1 – Intro to Improv at The CCB Training School
Please note: we are unable to offer refunds on workshop or course registration!
Please read our FAQs! (We’re pretty sure all your questions are answered there).
Health & Safety Requirements (updated June 2021)
- Courses & workshops will take place at Comedy Café Berlin or Artistania, depending on the number of registered students. We will notify registered students of the class location at least 1 week before the course starts.
- FFP2 masks must be worn at all times unless students are performing in a scene or exercise.
- Students & teachers will need to follow the “3G” rule and show proof of one of the following:
- Getestet – Proof of a negative Rapid Antigen Test (Antigenschnelltest) or PCR Test not older than 24 hours [must be shown before each class]
- Geimpft – Proof of full vaccination. Your last dose must have been administered at least 14 days prior [only needs to be shown once]
- Genesen – Proof of recovery from COVID-19, at least 28 days old but not older than 6 months [only needs to be shown once]
- Seats, door handles and other touch points in the theatre/classroom will be cleaned/disinfected between each class.
- Bathrooms will be cleaned/disinfected between each class.
- The classroom will be clearly demarcated to assist with physical distancing.
- Classrooms will be regularly ventilated.
- All students must read and agree to our School Policies and the above Healthy & Safety Guidelines.
- Students must be respectful to their fellow students and course instructors, and adhere to our Student & Teacher Code of Conduct and our Community Code of Conduct.
General requirements to successfully complete 8-week courses & intensives:
- All improv students are required to join and participate in at least one improv jam and see at least one improv show at CCB during the course.
- Students may not miss more than 2 out of 8 classes (there are no make up classes)
- Students may not be more than 15 minutes late to 4 out of 8 classes
Give the gift of good improv with CCBTS Gift Vouchers!