Playing it Straight with Antonia Bär
Saturday, November 7 | 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
The Voice of Reason (formerly known as the Straight Man) is the sensible character in a comedy scene who points out absurdities and represents “real world logic”. But more importantly, playing the Voice of Reason can be incredibly satisfying!
In this workshop, we’ll explore the Voice of Reason as the ‘comedian’ of the scene who lets the audience know what exactly is so funny. We’ll clear up common misconceptions that stand in the way of having fun when playing the Straight Man, and learn how to play characters that have their own specific points of view and personality, going beyond just saying No to the unusual thing. Plus, we’ll look at how to play with a Voice of Reason by really listening to them and giving them space to make a scene funnier.
If you don’t love playing the Straight Man because you think it’s the boring part of the scene, this workshop is for you!
PREREQUISITES: Level 1 – Intro to Improv at The CCB Training School
Please note: we are unable to offer refunds on workshop or course registration!
Please read our FAQs! (We’re pretty sure all your questions are answered there).
- All students must read and agree to our School Policies.
- Students must be respectful to their fellow students and course instructors, and adhere to our Student & Teacher Code of Conduct and our Community Code of Conduct.
General requirements for 8-week courses & intensives:
- All improv students are required to join and participate in at least one improv jam and see at least one improv show at CCB during the course.
- Students may not miss more than 2 out of 8 classes (there are no make up classes)
- Students may not be more than 15 minutes late to 4 out of 8 classes
Give the gift of good improv with CCBTS Gift Vouchers!