- This event has passed.
NARRATIVE 1: Turning an Idea into a Story (in partnership with StoryKiez)
Wednesdays, May 4th - June 22nd (8 Classes)
7:00 pm - 9:30 pm
The CCB Training School in partnership with StoryKiez:
NARRATIVE 1: Turning an Idea into a Story (Movie, TV show, graphic novel, etc.)
So you have an idea? A concept? Maybe just an interesting character? But how do you turn that into a dynamic, compelling narrative? In this course, for both new and experienced writers, we show you how to turn the kernel of an idea into a story that expresses your unique vision but in a way that connects with a wider audience.
Every StoryKiez class has three components: a specific area of creative focus, a piece of work that students will finish by the end of the class, and an end-of-term event where students, who choose to, can present their work to a receptive audience of family and friends. The creative focus of this class is to, first and foremost, help make writing a fun, inspiring and empowering experience rather than the miserable, soul-sucking slog most of us have found it to be. We do this by exploring the fundamental building blocks of narrative that apply to everything from TV and movies to graphic novels and video games while also tapping into what uniquely excites and inspires each student. As a result, our writers craft stories that grow out of their own interests, experiences and points of view but in a way that is also dynamic, engaging and relatable.
The work document we will be completing in this class is a “three-pager” – which, simply, is a three page document that gives an overview of your story from beginning to end. A three pager is not only a standard industry tool to connect with collaborators, producers and investors but also serves as an invaluable creative guide to the next step in the creative process: writing a full draft of your idea.
Students with existing ideas and creative materials as well as those hoping to develop new material are encouraged to enroll. For more info or questions go to storykiez.com
Location: Kreuzberg (near the U Gorlitzer Bahnhof)
Take Away: A “Three Pager” overview of your story and characters.
Event: An end of class presentation where every student, who wants to, presents their three-pager to a receptive audience of friends and family. (Event date and location TBD).
Kevin Napier is a Berlin-based writer/director and co-founder of Reckless Fascination, a production company specializing in genre-bending content with an international focus. He has sold TV show concepts in the United States to companies such as ABC, NBC, FOX TV, Amazon, Showtime and, yes, even the short-lived streaming platform Quibi as well as wrote on the FX TV show Married. He has also created and produced TV pilots both independently in Bengaluru (Bangalore), India and through Fox TV and Ben Stiller’s Red Hour Productions in the U.S. He has taught writing/improv workshops and classes in New York (independently and through The P.I.T. theatre), Berlin (independently and through Die Gorillas Theatre and Comedy Cafe Berlin) and Bangaluru (independently). He recently completed work, as creator/writer and director, on Operation: Cordelia, a multiple episode comedy-espionage fiction podcast for Audible U.S. and is in post-production on his first feature film as writer/director.
General Course & Workshop Info
Please note: we are unable to offer refunds on workshop or course registration!
Please read our FAQs! (We’re pretty sure all your questions are answered there).
All of our standard 8-week courses include a student show, personal feedback and a Certificate of Completion*!
Health & Safety Requirements (as of July 2022)
- As long as free testing (“Bürgertest”) remains available, all courses and workshops at CCBTS are 2G+. This means all instructors and students must be Geimpft (vaccinated) or Genesen (recovered) from COVID-19, PLUS everyone must be tested before each class. You will be required to show proof of your vaccination or recovery on the first day of class. If you are medically unable to be vaccinated, please get in touch with us.
- If free testing is no longer available, all courses and workshops will be 3G. This means all instructors and students must be Geimpft (vaccinated), Genesen (recovered) or Getestet (tested within 24 hours) for COVID-19.
- If you are feeling unwell, please let your instructor know and stay home!
- FFP2 masks should be worn at all times unless students are actively performing in a scene or exercise.
- Courses & workshops will take place at Comedy Café Berlin where we have a brand-new, state-of-the-art ventilation and air filtration system.
- All students must read and agree to our School Policies and the above Healthy & Safety Guidelines.
- Students must be respectful to their fellow students and course instructors, and adhere to our Student & Teacher Code of Conduct and our Community Code of Conduct.
General requirements to successfully complete 8-week courses & intensives:
- All improv students are required to join and participate in at least one improv jam and see at least one improv show at CCB during the course.
- Students may not miss more than 2 out of 8 classes (there are no make up classes)
- Students may not be more than 15 minutes late to 4 out of 8 classes
Guest courses or workshops may have different requirements.
*upon successful completion of the course
Give the gift of good improv with CCBTS Gift Vouchers!