- This event has passed.
Intro to Improv
The perfect course for those who have never improvised before, or for folks with improv experience who would like to get a foundation in North American long form.
Over 8 classes, we’ll teach you all you need to know to get solid footing in comedic improv. You’ll learn the basic skills every performer needs to get up on stage and make magic happen. We focus on making positive choices, smart scene work, group support and we explore the kernels of what makes something funny.
Please read through the General Course Info below before registering!
Student show: Sunday, March 5, 2023
- January 10th
- January 17th
- January 24th
- January 31st
- February 7th
- February 14th
- February 21st
- February 28th
Course Info & Requirements
This course includes:
- a student show
- personal feedback
- free student tickets to improv shows at Comedy Café Berlin
- Certificate of Completion*!
*upon successful completion of the course
Health & Safety Requirements
- All courses and workshops are 3G. This means all instructors and students must be Geimpft (vaccinated), Genesen (recovered) or Getestet (tested within 24 hours) for COVID-19.
- If you are feeling unwell, please let your instructor know and stay home!
- FFP2 masks should be worn at all times unless students are actively performing in a scene or exercise.
- All students must read and agree to our School Policies and the above Healthy & Safety Guidelines.
- Students must be respectful to their fellow students and course instructors, and adhere to our Student & Teacher Code of Conduct and our Community Code of Conduct.
General requirements to successfully complete this course:
- All improv students are required to join and participate in at least one improv jam and see at least one improv show at CCB during the course.
- Students may not miss more than 2 out of 8 classes (there are no make up classes)
- Students may not be more than 15 minutes late to 4 out of 8 classes
Have questions? Take a look at our FAQs
Please (pretty please) read the info below or our full FAQs before contacting us! (We’re pretty sure all your questions are answered here).
No. We keep our course and workshop costs low to allow as many students as possible to learn the art & fun of improv. To avoid unnecessary headaches involved in estimating student numbers, keep administrative costs down, and generally be fair to all students and would-be students, we do not offer refunds once a course or workshop registration has been purchased. Please keep this in mind before registering!
No. We don’t offer test classes or auditing, but we encourage prospective students to join our weekly open improv jam and to come to House team shows on Friday nights to get an idea of what we’re doing and who we are. This is a great way to meet us and current and former students, as well as join in the CCB community.
Yes but… we require students to attend at least 6 of the 8 course sessions in order to pass the course and continue taking higher level courses with us. In addition, students may not be more than 15 minutes late to 4 out of 8 classes in order to pass.
If you know you’ll miss more than 2 classes, we strongly recommend you do not register as you’ll simply not get enough out of the course and you’ll be required to retake the course in order to continue taking courses with us.
We do not offer make-up classes for missed classes. Students are added to a Google Group for their course and can message fellow students for notes about missed classes, but please keep in mind that no one is under any obligation to respond.
Sometimes. We allow course prerequisite exemptions on a case by case basis, but please keep in mind that we rarely grant exemptions. We teach a very specific style of long form that is relatively unique in Europe. We lay the foundation for that in our Intro course and we’ve found that students who have received training at other schools that focus on short form ‘impro’, status and narrative are often at a disadvantage when skipping Levels, in addition to slowing down the progress of other students.
Our courses and workshops are capped at 16 students max; some courses and workshops have a lower class size – these will be noted in the event description.