- This event has passed.
Find Your Character Workshop with Andrea & Michele
Tuesday, April 19th & Wednesday, April 20th (2 Classes)
7:00 pm - 9:30 pm
From Borat to Target Lady to Maria Bamford, characters can be found everywhere in comedy. Character sits at the intersection of stand-up, sketch, and improv comedy. It’s a fusion of writing and performing that explores one entertaining persona at a time.
Over the course of two evening sessions, participants will:
- learn what character bits are
- get tools and exercises to find inspiration for characters
- explore how to build, structure, and refine a character performance
- and leave prepared to jump on stage in character (and sign up for their first character open mic!)
No matter which type of comedy you do, learning to develop your sense of character will improve both your written and performed comedy. Please bring your interest in or curiosity about comedic performance, something to write with (paper or digital is fine), and an open mind. Props and costumes welcome but not required.
No prior writing, sketch, or improv experience required. This is NOT a stand up comedy course.
About the instructors
Andrea Björk is an Icelandic comedian and improviser. She’s one of the hosts of It’s That Time of the Month, Berlin’s only late-night daytime improvised talk show, as well as co-hosting The Queen’s Court, a character open mic. She performs regularly with her Comedy Café Berlin house team Fünf Dollar, as well as improvising films from scratch on Comedy Café’s monthly show Sneak Preview. Outside of performing, Andrea is a visual artist, director and podcaster.
Michele with one “L” Guido is a stand up, improv, and sketch comedian from Long Island, New York. She co-hosts The Queen’s Court, a character open mic along with two comedy storytelling shows, Four Eyes and The Yarn. She improvises with her team People System at Comedy Café Berlin, where she can also be found teaching improv classes at the CCB Training School, and performing in various sketch shows such as The Weird Show, VCR: A Video Sketch Show, and more.
General Course & Workshop Info
Please note: we are unable to offer refunds on workshop or course registration!
Please read our FAQs! (We’re pretty sure all your questions are answered there).
All of our standard 8-week courses include a student show, personal feedback and a Certificate of Completion*!
Health & Safety Requirements (as of August 2022)
- Due to the elimination of state-provided free testing (“Bürgertests”), all courses and workshops are 3G. This means all instructors and students must be Geimpft (vaccinated), Genesen (recovered) OR Getestet (tested within 24 hours) for COVID-19. You will be required to show proof of your status.
- If you are feeling unwell, please let your instructor know and stay home!
- FFP2 masks should be worn at all times unless students are actively performing in a scene or exercise.
- Courses & workshops will take place at Comedy Café Berlin where we have a brand-new, state-of-the-art ventilation and air filtration system.
- All students must read and agree to our School Policies and the above Healthy & Safety Guidelines.
- Students must be respectful to their fellow students and course instructors, and adhere to our Student & Teacher Code of Conduct and our Community Code of Conduct.
General requirements to successfully complete 8-week courses & intensives:
- All improv students are required to join and participate in at least one improv jam and see at least one improv show at CCB during the course.
- Students may not miss more than 2 out of 8 classes (there are no make up classes)
- Students may not be more than 15 minutes late to 4 out of 8 classes
Guest courses or workshops may have different requirements.
*upon successful completion of the course
Give the gift of good improv with CCBTS Gift Vouchers!