- This event has passed.
Das2019: Musical Improv Intensive with Katy Berry & Jon Bander
Saturday, June 29, 2019 | 11:00 am - 5:15 pm
This workshop will take your musical improv skills up to 11! First we’ll go over song structures, taking scenes into songs and different song structures to create a full-length narrative musical (opening number, protag song, antagonist song, etc). Then we’ll put it all together and start creating musicals ON THE SPOT! We’ll also include tips and tricks for bringing out your most unique, powerful characters and the best way to sing memorable improvised GENIUS!
This workshop will include live accompaniment.
Musical improv workshop or performance experience encouraged.
THIS WORKSHOP HAS MOVED TO COMEDY CAFE BERLIN
Katy Berry is a New York based comedian, writer, singer, voice over actor, and freestyler. She studied writing at The New School in New York City, improvisation at The Magnet Theater, and sketch comedy at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater (UCB).
Over the past six years Katy has traveled the world performing with musical improv legends Baby Wants Candy, and New York’s premier hip-hop improv team North Coast. Katy’s alter-ego, Pussy B. Furious, is a 9-time rap battle champion at UCB’s Battlicious and her song “Don’t You Spit on my Pussy” won Best Music Video at the Magnet Comedy Film Festival.
When not performing live, Katy tries to create more opportunities for women to perform hip-hop improv and launched her own free class for women improvisors in 2018. Her comedy videos and writing have been featured on Vulture, VH1, Reductress, Studio360, Bustle and more. For more of Katy’s work, visit katyberrycomedy.com.
Jon Bander is a 16-year veteran improv comedian and actor living in New York City. He teaches and performs improv, musical improv and characters at both the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater and Magnet Theater in NYC, and at theaters/festivals internationally.
Jon has also performed at the prestigious “Just For Laughs” Montreal comedy festival and worked for The Second City aboard a cruise ship. His television credits include TBS’s “Search Party” and the Netflix shows “Master of None” and “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” and too many digital videos. Jon’s been lucky enough to study with improv royalty like TJ Jagodowski, Dave Pasquesi, Armando Diaz, Mick Napier and Susan Messing to name just a few.
Most people call him Bander. Feel free to do the same.
This workshop is part of Das Improv Festival 2019
General Course & Workshop Info
Please note: we are unable to offer refunds on workshop or course registration!
Please read our FAQs! (We’re pretty sure all your questions are answered there).
All of our standard 8-week courses include a student show, personal feedback and a Certificate of Completion*!
Health & Safety Requirements (as of July 2022)
- As long as free testing (“Bürgertest”) remains available, all courses and workshops at CCBTS are 2G+. This means all instructors and students must be Geimpft (vaccinated) or Genesen (recovered) from COVID-19, PLUS everyone must be tested before each class. You will be required to show proof of your vaccination or recovery on the first day of class. If you are medically unable to be vaccinated, please get in touch with us.
- If free testing is no longer available, all courses and workshops will be 3G. This means all instructors and students must be Geimpft (vaccinated), Genesen (recovered) or Getestet (tested within 24 hours) for COVID-19.
- If you are feeling unwell, please let your instructor know and stay home!
- FFP2 masks should be worn at all times unless students are actively performing in a scene or exercise.
- Courses & workshops will take place at Comedy Café Berlin where we have a brand-new, state-of-the-art ventilation and air filtration system.
- All students must read and agree to our School Policies and the above Healthy & Safety Guidelines.
- Students must be respectful to their fellow students and course instructors, and adhere to our Student & Teacher Code of Conduct and our Community Code of Conduct.
General requirements to successfully complete 8-week courses & intensives:
- All improv students are required to join and participate in at least one improv jam and see at least one improv show at CCB during the course.
- Students may not miss more than 2 out of 8 classes (there are no make up classes)
- Students may not be more than 15 minutes late to 4 out of 8 classes
Guest courses or workshops may have different requirements.
*upon successful completion of the course
Give the gift of good improv with CCBTS Gift Vouchers!