- This event has passed.
Das2019: Creating Solo Shows with Philip Markle
Friday, June 28th & Sunday, June 30th (1 Classes)
2:15 pm - 5:15 pm
The most powerful thing you can share onstage comes from your own life experiences. What can you say, from your point of view, that no one else could express like you do? This class will mine your true-life stories to create a narrative solo show that represents your voice onstage. Over the course of two classes (with a bit of homework in-between), students will learn to use the tools and talents at their disposal to bring to life a thematically-driven, one-person show. By the end of workshop, students will develop the outline of a solo show, along with intense, personal feedback on honing your voice. Philip has written many solo shows including his one-man musical SPARKLE HOUR, which has played all over the USA, including to rave reviews in the NY international Fringe Festival.
Prior experience required – at least one improv or stand-up or storytelling class (or equivalent performance experience).
Philip Markle has performed in and produced hundreds of shows and taught acting and improv internationally, from Berlin to Bali.
Philip graduated from Northwestern University and trained in improvisation in Chicago at The Annoyance, iO, and Second City. He moved to NYC in 2013 to launch the theatre and training center of The Annoyance Theater NY, where he acted as its Executive Director until Fall 2016.
He is now the Founder and Artistic Director of The Brooklyn Comedy Collective, where he currently teaches and performs. Highlights include musically improvising with Baby Wants Candy in Chicago and BLANK: The Musical Off-Broadway in NY and his national-touring musical improv show Happy Karaoke Fun Time.
As a storyteller, he has performed at The Moth and The Paper Machete and is a writer on Medium.com with 100k+ reads and has been published in Insider magazine.
He is a proud member of the children’s education theatre companies The Story Pirates and Barrel of Monkeys. He executive produced, wrote, and acted in the digital shorts series “The Annoyance Presents” on IFC’s Comedy Crib.
Philip has written a one-man show, Sparkle Hour, which was featured to rave reviews in the 2013 NY International Fringe Festival. He regularly produces his monthly show Sparkle Hour, which first played at the historic Joe’s Pub in June, 2018.
This workshop is part of Das Improv Festival 2019
General Course & Workshop Info
Please note: we are unable to offer refunds on workshop or course registration!
Please read our FAQs! (We’re pretty sure all your questions are answered there).
All of our standard 8-week courses include a student show, personal feedback and a Certificate of Completion*!
Health & Safety Requirements (as of August 2022)
- Due to the elimination of state-provided free testing (“Bürgertests”), all courses and workshops are 3G. This means all instructors and students must be Geimpft (vaccinated), Genesen (recovered) OR Getestet (tested within 24 hours) for COVID-19. You will be required to show proof of your status.
- If you are feeling unwell, please let your instructor know and stay home!
- FFP2 masks should be worn at all times unless students are actively performing in a scene or exercise.
- Courses & workshops will take place at Comedy Café Berlin where we have a brand-new, state-of-the-art ventilation and air filtration system.
- All students must read and agree to our School Policies and the above Healthy & Safety Guidelines.
- Students must be respectful to their fellow students and course instructors, and adhere to our Student & Teacher Code of Conduct and our Community Code of Conduct.
General requirements to successfully complete 8-week courses & intensives:
- All improv students are required to join and participate in at least one improv jam and see at least one improv show at CCB during the course.
- Students may not miss more than 2 out of 8 classes (there are no make up classes)
- Students may not be more than 15 minutes late to 4 out of 8 classes
Guest courses or workshops may have different requirements.
*upon successful completion of the course
Give the gift of good improv with CCBTS Gift Vouchers!