- This event has passed.
Comedy Writing Fundamentals – Online
Thursdays, May 20th - June 24th (6 Classes)
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
For those interested in comedic writing and anybody who’s ever had that perfect funny idea but no way to get it down on the page.
Over the course of 6 weeks, we’ll dive into several types of comedy writing (sketch, short and long form fiction, late night writing, writing for the web, maybe even the listicle??) and students will be guided through various writing exercises designed to get your creativity going. We’ll teach you to explore your individual style of humour and have that flourish in the written word. Students will learn to tap into their own lives to find relatable stories and anecdotes, how to craft those into compelling writing, and how to find the comedy that makes them engaging to an audience.
Students will leave the course with a portfolio of writing and the tools to keep going!
No prior writing, sketch or improv experience required. This course is designed for anyone from experienced comedians interested in honing their writing to total beginners who are looking to get their toes wet in comedy.
Please note, students will be required to write outside of class! That’s right, YOU’LL HAVE HOMEWORK!
Classes will take place via web video conferencing.
Class Size is limited to 10 students!
Classes are 2 hours long and students will be expected to come prepared with completed homework and to write during class.
Online course requirements:
- A stable internet connection.
- A quiet, distraction-free place.
- A computer with a webcam and mic. Headphones are recommended.
- Students will need to create a free account with our conferencing solution and download necessary software (details to be provided after registration).
Please note: we are unable to offer refunds on workshop or course registration!
Please read our FAQs! (We’re pretty sure all your questions are answered there).
Health & Safety Requirements (updated June 2021)
- Courses & workshops will take place at Comedy Café Berlin or Artistania, depending on the number of registered students. We will notify registered students of the class location at least 1 week before the course starts.
- FFP2 masks must be worn at all times unless students are performing in a scene or exercise.
- Students & teachers will need to follow the “3G” rule and show proof of one of the following:
- Getestet – Proof of a negative Rapid Antigen Test (Antigenschnelltest) or PCR Test not older than 24 hours [must be shown before each class]
- Geimpft – Proof of full vaccination. Your last dose must have been administered at least 14 days prior [only needs to be shown once]
- Genesen – Proof of recovery from COVID-19, at least 28 days old but not older than 6 months [only needs to be shown once]
- Seats, door handles and other touch points in the theatre/classroom will be cleaned/disinfected between each class.
- Bathrooms will be cleaned/disinfected between each class.
- The classroom will be clearly demarcated to assist with physical distancing.
- Classrooms will be regularly ventilated.
- All students must read and agree to our School Policies and the above Healthy & Safety Guidelines.
- Students must be respectful to their fellow students and course instructors, and adhere to our Student & Teacher Code of Conduct and our Community Code of Conduct.
General requirements to successfully complete 8-week courses & intensives:
- All improv students are required to join and participate in at least one improv jam and see at least one improv show at CCB during the course.
- Students may not miss more than 2 out of 8 classes (there are no make up classes)
- Students may not be more than 15 minutes late to 4 out of 8 classes
Give the gift of good improv with CCBTS Gift Vouchers!